Thursday 19 May 2016

Unusual Irish Names

As I am Irish and have a uniquely Irish name, I have decided to base this next post on Irish names. Ireland has a long history of Celtic names and also Anglo-Irish names from when the Normans invaded in 1169. Many ancient Irish names have been given a modern spelling such as 'Tighernán' being modernised to 'Tiarnán' and 'Aodhán' to 'Aden'. Some popular Irish names are Niamh, Fionn and Cathal.

Irish names come from the Ancient Celtic language. This Celtlic, or Brehon, language came to Ireland with the celts many years before Christs death. Here is a list of some of my favourite unusual Irish names. I found all of these in a book of Irish names my parents used to name me and my siblings.

1. Aurnia
2. Bébhinn
3. Dagda
4. Samhairle
5. Líadaín

No comments:

Post a Comment