Monday 9 May 2016

My First Post

As my first post I have decided to explore the origins of my own name. Many people think that my name is Tiernan (TEER-nin) but it is in fact Tiarnán (TEar-nawn) which is the Irish pronunciation. My parents found my name in a book of Irish names and it just stuck in their heads as a beautiful name. Since then I have gone through many stages, most notably the length of time it took me to learn how to spell my own name, realising fadas were not commonly used online and the struggle of telling people for the sixth time how my name is spelt.

My name is a modernisation of the name "TIGHEARNÁN", which comes from the Irish meaning "little lord" and was the name of a 12th century king in ancient Ireland according to www.behindthename.com. Another translation of Tiarnán is "lordly".

As Tiarnán is an unusual name, it is hard to find famous people other than myself to write about here. Tiarnán Ó Duinnchinn is a famous uileann pipe player from Monaghan. Here is a video of Tiarnán on the uileann pipes, from YouTube.


Tiarnán Mulvenna is another famed Tiarnán who achieved stardom through Warrenpoint Football Club. Mulvenna plays forward for the NIFL Premiership.

So I hope this blog post has educated you in terms of an unusual name and I hope you decide to name all your children Tiarnán from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment